Are you a PhD supervisor or about to become one? If so, this course provides you with practical tips, resources, and ideas for improving the supervisory relationship.
Through videos and activities, we’ll address the key challenges of supporting research students throughout their PhD towards successful completion.
Topics include coaching techniques, academic writing, and managing the impact of mental health issues.
The course comprises:
- 25 short videos for you to watch at your own pace
- Captions and transcripts throughout
- Downloadable templates
Here’s what we’ll cover
Optimising the Supervisory Relationship
- Thinking About Induction
- Training Needs Analysis
- Managing Expectations
- Encouraging Autonomy
- Planning Supervisory Meetings
- Dealing with Conflict
Supporting the Writing Process
- Planning a Piece of Writing
- The Writing & Revision Cycle
- Boosting Productivity
- Monitoring Progress
- Improving Flow
- Giving Effective Feedback
Promoting Mental Health & Wellbeing
- Dealing with Imposter Syndrome
- The Mental Health & Wellbeing Continuum
- Stress vs Distress
- Anxiety and Depression
- Talking About Mental Health
- Summary & Next Steps
- Further resources
"The course was very well-organised, well-paced and thought-provoking. Thank you!"